Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Larry Miller - The Original George Costanza

    Seeing as how I will not be reviewing "The Rally to Restore Sanity" as originally intended and my Calendar where I keep upcoming moments in comedy is history blank for the next little while I have decided to highlight some of my favorite bits and comedians.

    I will do my best to watch and/or listen to something this week and have a review by weeks end.

    Larry Miller is the kind of comedian who I'm sure gets this reaction a lot "Oh, that guy. I recognize him. He's funny." And that he is. Born on October 15, 1953 on Long Island, New York, Larry was ranked 58th on Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians. Larry has been in over 100 film and television shows all while applying his first love to audiences around the globe.

    A fun factoid about Larry is that he is very good friends with Jerry Seinfeld and when initially casting talent for various roles on what would become "Seinfeld", Larry was Jerry's first pick to play George Costanza but Jason Alexander came in a stole the role and the rest, as they say, is history.

    Larry still made an appearance on Seinfeld years later as a "The Door Man" in "The Door Man" episode.

    As already stated, Larry is a funny, funny man and my favorite bit of material that he preforms is "The Five Level's of Drinking." This to me is one of the most complete, well rounded bits ever written. It has a great build-up an appropriate climax and laughter all the way through. One could easily argue that this is a  very rough outline for the script of "The Hangover". It has an absurdity and familiarity to it that makes it timeless and I think must be heard by all at least once...or hundreds of times in my case.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment